Costa Rica’s natural beauty, culture and safety record has made it one of the most popular destinations in the Americas to visit and study. There are also countless outdoor adventure options to supplement your language vacation, including surfing, zip lining, canopy tours, hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding and fishing. Here at Nosara Spanish Institute (NSI), we offer all the above excitement, in addition to a passion for academics, culture and customer service. Below we list five top reasons we think that NSI is the ideal place to study Spanish in Costa Rica:
1. Location: While location isn’t fundamental to creating a great school, it certainly appeals to many of our students. Tucked in the northwest corner of the Nicoya Peninsula with no direct freeway access from major cities, Nosara embodies an idyllic, off the beaten path setting with unspoiled beaches, mountains and valleys. It is not uncommon to be held up in ‘traffic’ by dozens of cattle or to witness livestock and horses feeding along the side of the road. Nosara’s elite status as part of a National Wildlife Refuge results in the noticeable lack of any high-rises on the beaches or in town. And because it is illegal to build within 200 meters of the high tide line, overdevelopment is not an issue. Nosara’s beaches remain pristine and the town is teeming with birds, monkeys and iguanas. Our beaches also boast some of the most consistent surf in Guanacaste, with year-round warm water, offshore winds and a sand bottom beach break.
2. Academics: Paramount to operating any successful language school is, of course, a commitment to academics. This is something we at Nosara Spanish Institute take seriously. And while you may not receive a report card for your performance, it does mean that we are dedicated and passionate about teaching the Spanish language. Our curriculum is based off the Common European Framework of Reference for Language learning. “CEFRL” is based off years of research and academia on how people best learn languages. This isn’t meant to imply that you will be learning European Spanish, but is used to distinguish between different learning levels, from A1 on the beginning spectrum, to C2 at the advanced level. At NSI we monitor students and closely follow their level progression. Our University educated staff has over 50 years of combined teaching experience, which, along with our progressive curriculum translates into a very effective language learning experience.
3. Culture: Nosara Spanish Institute’s location in the Guanacaste province of Costa Rica makes it an ideal place to learn and experience the culture of Costa Rica. Often touted to be at the heart of Costa Rican culture, the Guanacaste region is characterized by what many of us envision Costa Rica to be like: Cattle ranches, farms, men on horseback and yearly ‘corridos’ (rodeos). The people and culture of Guanacaste are some of the friendliest and most generous people in the country.
4. The campus: We are proud to have newly renovated Nosara Spanish Institute. We believe that studying in a comfortable environment with a relaxing vibe goes a long way toward enhancing the learning experience. We like to think of our new digs as outdoor jungle coffee lounge, meets study hall, meets international traveler hangout. NSI offers modern, comfortable and inviting classrooms and lounge areas for students to relax, eat and study. It’s not uncommon to hear monkeys and see iguanas lounging around school as well. As far as location, the NSI campus cannot be beat. We are a one-minute walk to town, a one-minute walk to restaurants, stores and shops and and an eight-minute walk to the best surf break in Playa Guiones. We are also a short walk along the jungle path to the world famous Nosara Yoga Institute and the brand new, Bodhi Tree Yoga Resort. We’ve got our own post-surf outdoor shower and students are allowed to swim in the pool at the fantastic French bakery next door. What more can you ask for?
5. Customer Service: Nosara Spanish Institute’s commitment to customer service is something unmatched in many language schools. As a smaller, boutique language school we are able to provide a more personal service to our students. Whether it is a personal local airport pick-up by one of NSI’s owners or help in planning your arrival and accommodations, our staff at NSI is second to none in student satisfaction and retention. In addition, our administration staff holds years of experience in the Study Abroad and Student Affairs sectors at the University level, making us well equipped to assist students from all over the world.
So if competent language instruction, surf, yoga, unspoiled beaches and a stellar location sound appealing, we encourage you to visit and spend a few weeks or more with us here, living, learning and immersing yourself in culture at Nosara Spanish Institute.